October 29th 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
2016 Open House @ UHLNC
Lots of Family Friendly Fun!
Entry and activities fee: No charge
Food: by donation
Great activities for the kids and adults, including:
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt
- Get crafty with art in nature projects
- Learn how to cast and catch through angler education
- Take a turn at building bird nests
- Learn about keyhole, monarch and pollinator gardens
- Check out cool bugs and reptiles that have their own versions of Halloween costumes called camouflage
- Learn about the water collection system we built to keep our gardens green
- Get the real buzz on honey bees
- Explore our unique hill country geology and dig the cool archaeological finds
- Learn about mammals and what makes them special
- Take a hikes around the lake guided by Master Naturalists and Birders
Click for nature center location and directions…
In case of rain, we have a very large covered pavilion and will set up our activities and food there.
Here’s your opportunity to visit the Upper Highland Lakes Nature Center and become familiar with our outreach capabilities.
We’ve hosted well over a thousand guests in organized groups during our start-up phase. In addition to the topics listed above, we have included customized activities specifically designed to meet scout badge, core competency, TEKS and STEM requirements.
Our nature smart volunteers (mostly Master Naturalists and Master Gardeners) bring their knowledge and love of nature to each and every event.
If you plan to bring 10 or more folks to our Open House or have any questions, please use the “contact us” form to send us an email.
Billy Hutson, Founding Director